Many people are interested in writing books for children and young adults, but sometimes not for the right reasons. Children books are a very popular and profitable market. But a children author needs more than economic motivations to write. It is essential to be well-connected to children’s world, to have a really good story to tell and to respect and love children. Otherwise, it might not work.
So, if you feel like you have the required skills to become a self published children´s author, here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Define your goals. What do you want to write exactly? There are different types of books for children. You can write easy readers books, picture books, middle grade or young adult novels. Take some courses and read some books to figure out what kind of book you are interested in writing and what kind of audience you want to reach.
- Once you have defined your audience, get connected with them. You cannot write for children or young adults if you don’t know how they act, what they like the most and how they think. It is time for you to study and learn about them. Every generation has its own particularities. So, it is important to find the right hooks to attract attention. Watch shows, series, and films they love. Listen to the most popular music, go to places they use to visit and see how they interact between each other and with adults. Just by studying your audience and their world you can create authentic and interesting characters for them to identify with.
- Now that you know what you want to write and you have a better understanding of your audience it is time for you to start creating ideas and characters. Many of the most successful children’s authors have used their own experiences in childhood to create interesting and appealing stories. Others have taken ideas from kids they know, from stories they have heard etc. But it is always essential to use your imagination to enrich your story. This is the most powerful means to create a wonderful story for kids.
- Now it is time to write. The most useful advice: don’t be afraid of writing and rewriting over and over again. A good story always needs to be rewritten several times before being done. So, don’t give up.
- When publishing always make sure your vision is being taken into account. Self-publishing companies for instance, offer you the chance to have a total control over the book during the publishing process, with services like web-to-print solutions.
Writing for kids is not an easy task, but it is an incredible experience, as mentioned at – selfpublishingadvisor. Decide what kind of children´s book you want to write, get connected with your audience, use your imagination to write the story and be part of the publishing process. At the end of the day, you will have nothing but happiness and satisfaction. Good luck!